Monday, November 20, 2023

Priorities in My Pastoral Ministry

I've been thinking about the things that I prioritize in my pastoral ministry. Here's what I came up with in no particular order:

1. The Message of Full Salvation. The need for heart purity and the remedy found in the baptism of the Holy Spirit will ever be a message that I emphasize in my teaching and preaching. The salvific work of God in this life does not end with justification! God's will and plan for you is to experience, before Heaven, the entire sanctification Jesus provided for in His death and resurrection! I will preach it, live it, and shout it!

2. Pastoral Care. Whatever the attendance of the church is, I believe pastoral care is important. It will always be a priority of mine. In the era of mega church emphasis and a corporate mentality in the church, I will continue to visit the sick, the prisons, and people at home. I admittedly cannot visit everyone under my care and will no doubt miss a surgery or wedding or celebration, but I plan on being with people like Jesus did.

3. High Personal Standards. I want to operate with conviction about the life God called me to live in holiness. Those called to service as leaders in the church should have high standards of ethics and morals Monday through Saturday and not only on Sunday. While some may gravitate toward the hipster preacher, I am committed to living a life pleasing to the Savior. The trust that the congregation I serve places in me is an honor and a gift that I will never take lightly. 

4. Biblical Fidelity. I've ministered in a number of contexts and appreciated the local community culture as well as the local church's culture. These things are a gift from God. The difficulty of Christians in every era of human history and geographical location is to discern the holy way without being led away by worldly influences. Faithfulness to God's plan for every area of life is the only way to maintain that fidelity. The Holy Spirit always leads us back to the revealed will of God through the Bible. In my personal life, my preaching, my church life, and ministry I will be faithful to God's Word regardless of the cost.

5. Newness of Life. The greatest joy of pastoral ministry is walking with individuals into a relationship with the Creator and witnessing, first hand, the change that takes place in their lives. Transformation happens in a moment of time and discipleship is a lifetime process. God brings real change in the lives of those who yield to His leading in their lives. The new birth and water baptism of individuals, the complete consecration and fire baptism, as well as other spiritual breakthroughs throughout the journey of individuals is the reward of diligent ministry. I will not settle for no fruit. 

What are some of your priorities in ministry?


Check out these other articles:

Why I Still Have Sunday Night Service

Characteristics of True Revival

Why I am a Holiness Preacher

How to Get "Unfriended" in Real Life


No comments:

Post a Comment