Monday, January 11, 2016

Why I Don't Play the Lottery

Just a few reasons why I don't play the lottery...

1. I don't use those things that cause detrimental addiction. I have a tendency to stay away from things that have warning labels from Surgeon Generals or help lines to help you stop using their product. If there is a danger of bondage... I stand firm in my freedom. "Play responsibly" is my signal to not play and thus be responsible.

2. I care about the poor. Lottery is like the proverbial carrot on a stick for those dealing with poverty. It is the elusive pot of gold at the end of the rainbow. However, in reality, it is the parasite of another dollar siphoned away from essential needs. For the sake of others I abstain and look forward to the time when the lottery is discarded.

3. I care about families. Every dollar spent on lottery tickets is a dollar neglected in a place of higher priority. If you really want to care and provide for your family, don't chase ghosts through the fog. Get a job, be faithful, and take your family to church on Sunday. The lottery has never helped a marriage, raised a child, or reconciled a family, but it sure has broken many homes. Don't be deceived.

4. It is bad stewardship. I have heard people talk about the revenue going toward "a good cause" like education. But the truth is that less than 1/3 of the total revenue goes toward the "good cause." Most goes toward winning, advertisement, administration, etc. You want to give toward a good cause, find another way to do it that doesn't have the enormous overhead. Something tells me, however, that few are thinking about helping their local schools when they are buying their ticket.

5. It is contrary to contentment. I have learned the reality of the fact that there is great gain in godliness with contentment. Coveting leads to unrest, discontentment, and anxiety. I want to learn to be at peace whether I have much or I have little. Right now I have all I need. It doesn't mean I won't have more some day or have less some day. But I am going to be grateful for what I have.


6. The love of money is the root of all kinds of evil. It isn't evil itself, but is sure is the root of it. Coveting, jealousy, laziness, greed, lack of self-discipline and the list goes on. All these things can sprout a life focused on the pursuit of temporary wealth. The fruit of a life consumed with the love of money is something we vilify and hate in others, but are sometimes blind to in ourselves.

7. Winning would be on the backs of literally millions of other people who have lost. They may not miss my few dollars that I refuse to spend on lottery tickets, but I refuse to be part of something that costs so much to so many. How can I claim to love my brother when I participate in something that is so detrimental to him? How can I rejoice in my winnings when there is some child out there without good food to eat because his parent thought the way out was through the lottery. No, I cannot risk being the oppressor.

8. You'll lose. The chances of you dying on the way to purchase your ticket are much greater than you winning the lottery. It has been said that the lottery is a tax on those who are bad at math. Maybe you won't miss the change you spent today on lottery tickets. But the money spent on an alluring mirage can actually add up quickly. Maybe wealth would come quicker from starting a savings account.

9. Even if you win, you'll probably still be a loser. The day the winner is announced there are tales of philanthropic ventures and charitable gifts. All the good that will be done with the winnings. A year later there is often brokenness resulting in family discord, marital divorce, bankruptcy, greed leading to more gambling and loss, hate, grudges, and even homelessness and murder. No it doesn't happen every time someone wins, just some of the larger winners. Do you want to tempt the odds again?

10. I'm a Christian. There are more important things to me than money. I have come to the apparently rare revelation that money is not the greatest need of my existence. It does not solve my problems. It does not bring me fulfillment. It does not make me whole. It does not last forever. I live for a higher purpose. 

Also check out...




1 comment:

  1. I totally agree with #2. I knew a person who was once a millionaire. Because of poor management and a lack of candor, he lost his wealth. What did he do?? He turned to the lottery. Since he was a member of my church I confronted this behavior. I told him he was pursing a fantasy. He AGREED! But he wanted to get rich quick and had even told me that he had prayed about the matter and the Lord told him it was OK to purchase the Lottery ticket.

    ReplyDelete